SolarCity accuses utilities of blocking solar-battery grid connections
- California utilities are intentionally blocking a pilot program by SolarCity to combine rooftop solar with energy storage, according to the solar company's CEO.
- More than 500 SolarCity residential customers have signed up to for the storage program, and about 100 have received Tesla battery packs. However, utilities have interconnected only 12 battery systems to the grid.
- Pacific Gas & Electric contends it is moving as fast as it can with the new technology.
- UPDATE: SolarCity has stopped its efforts to install batteries alongside its solar panels.
It might take some time, but the process for interconnecting battery systems to the grid will go quicker and become less expensive as the utilities gain experience with the technology. Obviously, SolarCity wants to move as fast as possible. Patience, grasshopper.
- San Francisco Chronicle SolarCity accuses utilities of slowing home-battery project
- Businessweek SolarCity Freezes Energy-Storage Program as Grid Connections Lag