Open & closing dates
12/20/2017 to 01/18/2018
$88,434 to $114,963 per year
Pay scale & grade
Full-Time - Full Time
1 vacancy in the following location:
Relocation expenses reimbursed
Yes Relocation will be authorized
This job is open to
(See Frequently Asked Questionsfor more information).
Where would I be working?
Western Area Power Administration
Desert Southwest Region, Maintenance,Protection and Communication Maintenance,
Protection and Control, (G5300)
615 S. 43rd Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85009
Find out more about living conditions at this duty station.
This position is located within the Office of Protection and Communications in the Desert Southwest Region of Western Area Power Administration. The incumbent will serve as Supervisory Electrical Engineer for Protection and Control organization. Responsible for managing, planning, and coordinating the operations and maintenance activities required for maintenance, replacement and rehabilitation of the protection and control systems and the administration of the maintenance portions of associated contracts. The incumbent is responsible for supervising Foremen, journeymen Meter & Relaying, journeymen Protection & Communications, and Electrical Engineers. Responsible for formulating and executing a program including budget to maintain relaying and metering equipment in the transmission system facilities. Serves as the Electrical Engineer Supervisor over maintenance and upgrading of power system protective equipment for all assigned facilities for the Desert Southwest Region.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel possible.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…All U.S. Citizens
This position is also advertised to status candidates as a Merit Promotion announcement, vacancy # PMA-18-WG-44-MP.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- You must be a United States Citizen.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements
QualificationsYou must meet all the qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement. You may review the qualification requirementshere.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
- Demonstrated experience leading a team of technical experts to accomplish the organizations mission.
- Supervising a diverse staff of specialists.
- Knowledge of utility communications and protection system and associated schemes.
- Experience in working in either protection or communications in the utility industry.
- Skill in supervising a diverse staff to include assigning work, providing guidance, evaluating results, and promoting team cohesion and effectiveness.
- Knowledge of power system equipment and practices.
- Knowledge of facilities and supporting infrastructure of a high voltage electric utility operation sufficient to evaluate asses operational efficacy and efficiency.
- Knowledge of maintenance program requirement as outlined in NERC/WECC reliability standards.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meetallqualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
For this position, education cannot be substituted for experience.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- All males born after December 31, 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
- If selected for this position, your appointment is contingent upon completion of OF-306, Declaration for Federal Employment, during the pre-employment process.
- If selected, you will be required to complete a questionnaire and are subject to a criminal background check to determine suitability for Federal employment before appointment.
- If selected, you may be required to complete a one-year supervisory probation period.
- The selectee for this position may be eligible to receive a recruitment or relocation incentive of up to 25% of the base salary. You will need to sign an employment agreement to be eligible for this incentive.
How You Will Be Evaluated
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to place you into an initial quality category via OPM's Category Rating procedures. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to ensure you have been placed into the appropriate quality category.
Your application is rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education (when applicable), and training as described in your resume and applicant assessment. Your credentials are measured against the established duties of the position at the grade level(s) being advertised.
The quality categories are usually defined as "Best Qualified", "Well Qualified", and "Qualified", although they may differ slightly based on individual agency policy.
If you are eligible for career transition assistance plans such as ICTAP or CTAP, you must meet the definition of "well qualified" which is defined as having a score of 85 or better.
If you are a Veteran Preference eligible candidate, you will be listed at the top of whichever quality category your rating places you in. CP/CPS veterans are placed at the top of the highest category for all positions except professional and scientific positions at GS-9 and higher.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
Selecting Official may check references on those applicants referred for consideration.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Please carefully review the following list to determine what documentation you need to submit. Some documents may not apply to all applicants.
If you are unsure, click the link for each document type to read more.
ALL APPLICANTS: You must submit a resumesupporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Your resume should list all work experience (paid and unpaid); you must list the full name and address of the each employer.
- For all types of work experience, you should indicate the start and end dates (include month, day, and year); you must also list the average number of hours per week that you worked.
- For paid work experience, please indicate your starting salary for each position and the highest salary you earned (if different).
- Your resume should also include any education and training you have completed (list the program title, subject area, number of hours completed, and completion date).
- For more information about what to include in your resume, please view this USAJOBS Resume Tutorial videoon YouTube.
If specific educational requirements are indicated for this vacancy: Documentation verifying your educational claimswhich can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and final grade. Please see the Education section for more information.
Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation(DD-214 Member #4 Copy, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency to receive Veterans Preference under the VOW (Veterans Opportunity to Work) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority.Certified verification of a disabilityfrom a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
Displaced Federal employees who qualify for CTAP/ICTAP: If you are a former Federal employee who was displaced due to a Reduction-in-Force (RIF) or surplused by some other means, please submit a copy of the separation letter or RIF notice from your agency. To be selected under I/CTAP, you must still be found well-qualified for this position. Please see the OPM Guide to Career Transitionfor more information.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
You MUST submit a copy of your transcript if you want to substitute your education for experience. If you claim qualifications based on education, and do not submit a transcript, your education will not be used in making a qualification determination and you may be found "not qualified".
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, you must submit your complete application no later than 11:59 pm U.S. Eastern Time on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish! Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference.
For your security, your session in our online application system will "time-out" if you are inactive for a certain period of time. We recommend that you preview the assessment questions before you apply and prepare all of your information prior to beginning the application. If you do get "timed-out" you will have to log back in to USAJOBS and re-visit the vacancy announcement, you can then click "Update Application" to finish where you left off.
Steps to submit a complete application:
- You must have an active USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a complete resume associated with your USAJOBS account. Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and instead require that you submit a USAJOBS-formatted resume using theResume Builder.
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials are ready, click on the 'Apply Online' button to get started.
- You will be given the option to include your resume, documents, and demographic information from your USAJOBS profile. You will then be transferred to the Department of Energy's application tracking system. If you select documents from your USAJOBS account, you MUST complete the download process in a later step or your USAJOBS documentation WILL NOT be transferred! See Step 6.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation. If you selected documents from USAJOBS prior to being transferred to our application system (Step 4), you will need to click the "USAJOBS" link to complete the transfer process. These documents ARE NOT automatically transferred!It is ultimately your responsibility to make sure all required documents are either faxed, uploaded, or transferred from USAJOBS successfully. If you are unsure that your documents went through, please contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement BEFORE the vacancy closes.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received!
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
Steps to modify or withdraw your application:
- Return to USAJOBS and log in to your account.
- In the "My Account" screen, click "Application Status" in the left-hand column.
- You will see a table list of all the jobs you've applied to, click on the title of the application you want to modify.
- If the announcement is still open the button which normally says "Apply Online" will instead say "Edit Application", click that button. (If you want to withdraw your application from consideration after the closing date, contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement.)
- You will be directed back to DOE's application tracking system where you can make changes, or you can click "Withdraw Application" to remove your application from being considered.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the 'Apply Online' button), please contact the HR Office listed on this announcement between normal business hours. If you are receiving any kind of error message, please be ready to provide a screenshot or at a minimum, the error message text and number.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account password/profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Centeror e-mail [email protected]. Regretfully, DOE cannot resolve issues with your USAJOBS account. We regret that we are unable to support any issue with USAJOBS, as this service is maintained by the Office of Personnel Management exclusively.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Office listed on this announcement during normal business hours to discuss your situation.
How to Apply
PMA-18-WG-44-DE (https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/487141500 )