Clean Power Alliance (CPA) is a new Community Choice Aggregation/Joint Powers Authority formed to provide electricity services to retail customers in Southern California. With 31 member agencies, CPA will be the largest CCA in California, serving over three million residents and businesses though more than one million customer accounts, and with an annual energy load exceeding 15 TerraWatt Hours.
CPA is seeking an experienced and detail-oriented professional to lead the organization’s customer service experience, with an emphasis on customer retention, growth and responsiveness. Leveraging the power of CPA’s diverse member agencies to connect with customers will be key to successfully developing the CPA brand as one that is community-focused and responsive to the needs of both individual customers and the broader community.
This is a challenging opportunity to play a key role in restructuring Southern California’s energy market to rapidly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide local choice in energy supply and services. To be successful you must:
- have a high tolerance for uncertainty but know how to bring things to resolution
- be able to translate complex technical information, such as rate structures and customer program details, into understandable messages
- build and manage a dedicated team of account representatives, community outreach professionals and branding/design consultants
- ensure that individual customers with complex energy needs have useful information in a timely manner so they can make informed choices
- leverage a large Board of Directors made up of local elected officials to build brand awareness and collaborate on community outreach strategies
- enjoy engaging with passionate stakeholders
- have a strong work ethic befitting a start-up environment
- work closely with the Executive Director and become a team player with other senior executives in the areas of data management, government affairs, media relations, and local program development
The Director will be responsible for maintaining overall brand and messaging consistency across the organization to help ensure that CPA can realize its vision of offering customers locally controlled clean power options at competitive rates. Key duties include:
- Customer Communications: manage CPA’s communications with individual customers as well as key customer segments both through direct engagement and marketing campaigns
- Brand Development: work with the Board of Directors, Executive Director and consultants to develop the CPA brand into one that is trusted, responsive and calls on customers to be active managers of the local energy system
- Outreach Materials: manage the development and maintenance of CPA’s outreach materials, including website, social media accounts, printed materials, and toolkits for member agencies and key customer segments
- Team Building and Management: select and manage marketing consultants while building a a growing team of account services and community outreach staff
- Rate and Program Development Support: be an internal customer advocate for the development of specialized rates and customer programs that will be responsive to customers energy needs while advancing CPA’s mission and business needs
- Board Relations: write effective staff reports and make clear presentations at Board and Committee meetings
- Executive Support: assist the Executive Director in developing key customer relationships, particularly with other public agencies to advance their sustainability and business goals
Qualifications: Candidates must have at least 5 years of marketing and customer engagement experience, preferably in the energy sector. Start-up experience and a track record of building a customer base is highly desired, as is knowledge of local government operations. Experience developing and managing a team will be an advantage.
Start date: CPA anticipates filling this position in August, though it will remain open until filled. Candidates should send a resume with 3 references to [email protected] A succinct and well-written cover letter is encouraged.
Salary and Benefits: CPA offers competitive salaries benchmarked against other CCAs and public agencies. Benefits include health care, a 401 (k) match program, three weeks paid vacation, and sick leave. This is not a civil service position.
Location: Downtown Los Angeles.
Culture: CPA fosters a culture of open communication, responsibility, and intellectual curiosity. As a small team seeking to build the largest CCA in California, high levels of trust and mission alignment will be key to individual and team success.
Commitment to Diversity: CPA is made up of geographically and socioeconomically diverse members and intends to build a staff reflecting that diversity. We are an equal opportunity employer and actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for all positions.