Candela Renewables, LLC is an independent developer of utility-scale solar and storage power projects. We are headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Candela’s mission is to develop the most reliable, cost effective, financeable and environmentally beneficial solar power projects in the United States. We believe that the transition to a low carbon economy will be accelerated by the availability of competitively priced renewable energy, so we are intensely focused on lowering the cost of solar power. As a technology-agnostic company, we are able to deploy the best solar equipment, as well as complementary technologies, such as battery storage, for the benefit of project owners, power purchasers, landowners and other constituents. Recognizing that financeability is a key ingredient in the success of any capital-intensive undertaking, we are developing projects that are structured to provide predictable and resilient returns to investors and lenders.
Basic Job Functions: The position will be responsible for strategic transmission assessment and managing the interconnection process in target markets across the United States supporting the company's overall development goals. The position will participate in new market analyses and responsible for transmission related topics including tariffs, planning, accessibility and overall interconnection process. The role will identify, hire and manage consultants and other subject matter experts in various target markets as needed to support the overall development process. The position will engage in external communication with agencies, utilities and consultants in support of project development.
Scope of Responsibilities may include:
New market planning and analysis
o Develop and update strategic and tactical plans for new markets working with project development and origination
o Manage (internally or externally) nodal market analysis for applicable markets
o Provide tariff, planning, accessibility and overall interconnection process assessment for new markets
o Identify, contract and manage consultants as necessary
Project Development and Siting
o Evaluate utility system loading (e.g., deliverability, congestion) and potential interconnection costs to support siting of new development projects
o Evaluate interconnection and gen-tie alternatives; participate in processes to optimize project interconnection options based on cost, schedule, off take preference and risk
o Support PPA, financing and project sale processes including providing information on the interconnection agreements and articulating the project’s specific interconnection related attributes
Manage overall interconnection process
o Lead the interconnection process and negotiations for new development projects from siting to execution including interconnection agreements, affected systems and engineering agreements
o Perform (internally or externally) power flow simulation analysis to forecast future system conditions to support siting, IA, PPA, financing and sale process
o Develop commercial arrangements to optimize project cost, schedule and risk
o Identify, contract and manage consultants as necessary to support the interconnection process including application deliverables in addition to engineering review of utility schedules and cost estimates
o Recruit, hire and supervise transmission/interconnection staff
o Establish working relationships with utilities, ISOs and industry representatives in key markets
o Act as main advisor and liaison with senior management on interconnection issues and policies related to project development risk and opportunities
Diligence existing development projects
o Conduct/supervise due-diligence review of potential project and portfolio acquisitions and related commercial transactions related to the interconnection and transmission risk, and provide recommendations to the acquisition team
• Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline is required. Emphasis on power systems is preferred. Master’s degree in Engineering, Energy Policy or Business is preferred.
• 10 years minimum experience in transmission planning and generation interconnection related activities. Utility planning and project siting experience is preferred.
• Proficient in transmission system planning and grid operation topics
• Expert knowledge of generation interconnection tariffs, interconnection agreements and requirements in one or more key markets, including a strong knowledge of the process from the initial interconnection request through utility operations
• Detailed knowledge of power flow modeling and results
• Ability to establish strong working relationships with utilities, ISOs and industry representatives
• Proficient in public speaking, presentation skills, explaining complex technical topics and writing of technical reports
• Strong collaboration and problem-solving skills, capable of applying advanced engineering principles to identify and solve complex issues
• Outstanding project, people management, and negotiation skills
• High-energy, positive attitude with ability to receive constructive feedback