Agency contact information
Vanessa Montoya Vanessa Montoya
Western Area Power Administration
12155 W. Alameda Parkway
Lakewood, Colorado 80228
Electronic Integrated Systems Mechanic (EEC)
Department of Energy
WAPA-Western Area Power Administration
Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates 10/11/2018 to 10/22/2018
Pay scale & grade
$49.75 to $51.82 per hour
1 vacancy in the following location:
2288 North Arizona Boulevard Coolidge, AZ 1 vacancy
Relocation expenses reimbursed
Yes Relocation expense will be paid in accordance with FTR policy.
Where would I be working?
Western Area Power Administration, Desert Southwest Region, Maintenance, Protection and Communication (G5300), Coolidge AZ.
Where will I be on the pay scale? If you are not currently a Western journeyman in the occupation advertised, you will receive entry-level pay with the possibility of promotion to full journeyman status after meeting certification and performance requirements (generally within 3-6 months).
Electronic Equipment Craftsman Employee will maintain, modify, install, repair, program, and test a variety of simple to complex electronic equipment used in these categories: communication, control process computers, and supervisory control systems. Perform database modification. Develop software test routines for verifying communication settings and operational specifications. Perform work on communications equipment that is used for power system operation and control, relaying, data logging, and indication.
50% or less - Overnight travel may be required up to 11 days per month.
Conditions Of Employment
- You must be a United States Citizen
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements
You must have journeyman-level ability in the duties of an Electronic Equipment Craftsman. You must meet all the qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following abilities. You are NOT required to provide a separate narrative written response. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess those described below.
1. Ability to do the work of an Electronic Equipment Craftsman without more than normal supervision (install and commission, or maintain and repair) at least four of the following: microwave radio, mobile radio, voice and data communications, SCADA/RTU, fiber optic cable, and multiplex equipment.
2. Knowledge and ability to use tools and specialized equipment to maintain and test communications equipment.
3. Knowledge of electrical and electronic theory and ability to do troubleshooting.
4. Ability to read and understand electrical and electronic drawings and instruction
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section and score 85 or above.
"Experience" refers to paid and unpaid experience.Examples of qualifying unpaid experience may include: volunteer work done through National Service programs (such as Peace Corps and AmeriCorps); as well as work for other community-based philanthropic and social organizations. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills; and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
For this position, education cannot be substituted for experience.
- More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
- If selected for this position, your appointment is contingent upon completion of OF-306, Declaration for Federal Employment, during the pre-employment process.
- If selected, you will be required to complete a questionnaire and are subject to a criminal background check to determine suitability for Federal employment before appointment.
- If you are tentatively selected for this position, you will be required to have a physical examination that will determine whether you are qualified to perform the duties of the position. An offer of employment will depend upon your successfully passing the physical examination.
- This position requires completion of an annual medical examination at Federal expense.
- You must test negative for illegal drugs before placement in the position, and will be subject to random drug testing thereafter. If a determination of the use of illegal drugs is confirmed, non-selection or disciplinary action, up to and including removal from Federal service, may result.
- You must have a valid driver's license. You must also have, or be able to get within 60 days of your appointment, a Class A Commercial Driver's License to operate vehicles of more than 26,000 pounds GVWR (at your own expense). You may also need a tanker and/or hazardous material endorsement.
- You will be required to possess a pair of fully-encased safety-toed footwear meeting the standard ASTM F 2413-05 upon reporting to work.
If selected for this position, you must live no more than 60 minutes away from the duty station in case of call-out.
This position is subject to overtime work.
The selectee for this position may be eligible to receive a recruitment incentive of up to 10% of the base salary. You will need to sign an employment agreement to be eligible for this incentive.
This position may require overnight travel of 11 days per month.
How You Will Be Evaluated
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications necessary for this position. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to determine if your qualifications meet the criteria for referral to the selecting official.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
Selecting Official may check references on those applicants referred for consideration.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required DocumentsHelp Help
ALL APPLICANTS: You must submit a resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Your resume should list all work experience (paid and unpaid); you should list the full name and address of the each employer.
- Your experience listing should show the start and end dates (include month, day, and year); you must also list the average number of hours per week that you worked.
- Your resume should also include any education and training you have completed (list the program title, subject area, number of hours completed, and completion date).
- For more information about what to include in your resume, please view this USAJOBS Resume Tutorial video on YouTube.
- Most DOE offices will allow you to submit a resume in the format of your choice (as an attached document or as a USAJOBS Resume Builder format). However, some offices may require the USAJOBS resume format. You will be notified at the time you click 'Apply Online' which is required.
- It is important that you are complete and thorough in your resume. If any of the above information is not included in your resume, we may not be able to fully credit you for your experience.
Current and former Federal employees: SF-50 that reflects your title, series and grade - Do not submit an award SF-50. (Standard Form 50 - Notice of Personnel Action). To properly verify status eligibility, your SF-50 must show the following. If you do not submit an appropriate SF-50, we cannot verify your status eligibility!
- Full position title;
- appointment type;
- occupational series;
- pay plan, grade, and step;
- tenure code; and
- service computation date (SCD).
Displaced Federal employees: You will need to submit documentation verifying your involuntary separation and CTAP/ICTAP status. Please see the OPM Guide to Career Transition for more information.
Veterans: veteran eligibility documentation(DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency which will allow you to apply under the (Veterans Opportunity to Work) VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
Persons with Disabilities: Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority.Certified verification of a disability from a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- BenefitsHelp Help
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, you must submit your complete application no later than 11:59 pm U.S. Eastern Time on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish! Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference. For your security, your session in our online application system will "time-out" if you are inactive for a certain period of time. We recommend that you preview the assessment questions before you apply and prepare all of your information prior to beginning the application. If you do get "timed-out" you will have to log back in to USAJOBS and re-visit the vacancy announcement, you can then click "Update Application" to finish where you left off. Steps to submit a complete application:
- You must have an active USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a complete resume associated with your USAJOBS account. Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and instead require that you submit a USAJOBS-formatted resume using the Resume Builder.
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials are ready, click on the 'Apply Online' button to get started.
- You will be given the option to include your resume, documents, and demographic information from your USAJOBS profile. You will then be transferred to the Department of Energy's application tracking system. If you select documents from your USAJOBS account, you MUST complete the download process in a later step or your USAJOBS documentation WILL NOT be transferred! See Step 6.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation. If you selected documents from USAJOBS prior to being transferred to our application system (Step 4), you will need to click the "USAJOBS" link to complete the transfer process. These documents ARE NOT automatically transferred! It is ultimately your responsibility to make sure all required documents are either faxed, uploaded, or transferred from USAJOBS successfully. If you are unsure that your documents went through, please contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement BEFORE the vacancy closes.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received!
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly. Steps to modify or withdraw your application:
- Return to USAJOBS and log in to your account.
- In the "My Account" screen, click "Application Status" in the left-hand column.
- You will see a table list of all the jobs you've applied to, click on the title of the application you want to modify.
- If the announcement is still open the button which normally says "Apply Online" will instead say "Edit Application", click that button. (If you want to withdraw your application from consideration after the closing date, contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement.)
- You will be directed back to DOE's application tracking system where you can make changes, or you can click "Withdraw Application" to remove your application from being considered.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the 'Apply Online' button), please contact the HR Office listed on this announcement between normal business hours. If you are receiving any kind of error message, please be ready to provide a screenshot or at a minimum, the error message text and number.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account password/profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail [email protected] Regretfully, DOE cannot resolve issues with your USAJOBS account. We regret that we are unable to support any issue with USAJOBS, as this service is maintained by the Office of Personnel Management exclusively.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Office listed on this announcement during normal business hours to discuss your situation.
Please apply by clicking on the links below: