Electrical Engineer (Protection)
Open & closing dates
Opening and closing dates 10/29/2018 to 11/13/2018
Pay scale & grade
GS 12 - 13
$97,520 to $131,090 per year
Full-Time - Full Time
3 vacancies in the following locations:
615 S. 43rd Ave. Phoenix, AZ
2051 South Buchanan Blvd. Boulder City, NV
Relocation expenses reimbursed
Yes Relocation incentive may be authorized. Permanent Change of Station will not be authorized.
Where would I be working?
Western Area Power Administration
Desert Southwest Region; Maintenance; Protection & Control (G5300)
Phoenix, AZ 85009
Boulder City, NV 89005
Find out more about living conditions at this duty station.
The duties for:
GS-12 - This position is located in the Protection & Communications Maintenance Organization for the Desert Southwest Region of the Western Area Power Administration. The position has the responsibility for electrical engineering associated with power system protection, equipment and facilities and providing highly specialized engineering for projects and activities. This responsibility includes three major areas: Additions, replacements, and modifications to equipment and facilities; serving as Protection & Control Field Engineer and technical expert for protective relaying schemes and control systems; and providing field engineering for predictive and preventative maintenance programs, trouble shooting, facility enhancements, and operations support. This position is knowledgeable in electrical engineering principles and practices applicable to the planning, deployment, and operation of high voltage interconnected electrical power system controls and components, including transmission, power generation, communications, and controls involved in the operation and protection of high voltage electrical power systems. The incumbent will be responsible for providing all electrical engineering support requirements associated with the safe reliable operation of protective relaying schemes from 69-kV to 500-kV.
GS-13 - This position is located in the Protection & Communications Maintenance Organization for the Desert Southwest Region of the Western Area Power Administration and has responsibility for electrical engineering associated with power system protection, equipment and facilities and providing highly specialized engineering and over al technical leadership within the Maintenance Office for projects and activities. This responsibility includes three major areas: Additions, replacements, and modifications to equipment and facilities; serving as project leader and technical expert for Maintenance Office and other personnel for protective relaying schemes and control systems; and providing field engineering for predictive and preventative maintenance programs, trouble shooting, facility enhancements, and operations support. In each of these areas, incumbent has full technical responsibility, is recognized as the technical expert, and activities are self-directed on a daily basis. This position is knowledgeable in electrical engineering principles and practices applicable to the planning, deployment, and operation of high voltage interconnected electrical power system controls and components, including transmission, power generation, communications, and controls involved in the operation and protection of high voltage electrical power systems.
As regional expert, the incumbent is responsible for providing all electrical engineering support requirements associated with the safe and reliable operation of protective relaying schemes from 69kV to 500kV. Serves as Maintenance Engineering's principal point-of-contact for all issues related to Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) and the applicable North American Electric Reliability Corporation/Western Electricity Coordinating Council (NERC/WECC) reliability standards.
50% or less - Travel approximately 10 or more days per month of overnight travel.
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program
- See "Other Information" section regarding Selective Service requirements
Degree: professional engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must:
- be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum; or
- include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
In addition to meeting the basic entry qualification requirements, applicants MUST have specialized experience at the next lower grade level to qualify.
Transcripts MUST be submitted to be considered, if you do not submit your transcripts you will be deemed ineligibe. ( A copy of your degree is NOT sufficiant. Transcripts do not have to be originals).
You must meet all the qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement. You may review the qualification requirements here.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
For the GS-12 level the specialized experience requirement is:
- Provide assistance in transmission system protection (up to 500kV), developing relay settings, performing relay coordination with interconnected utilities, and/or performing event analysis. Experience in applying NERC, WECC, or CIP reliability standards as they relate to maintenance activities in the electric utility industry.
- Experience in advanced engineering theories, principles, concepts, standards and/or methods for a wide range of power systems equipment used in the electric utility industry.
- Analyze the interrelationships of design, construction or operation of facilities and their associated planning, design maintenance, repair, or construction activities.
- Assist in the operation or maintenance practices associated with major electrical apparatus, protective relays, and/or outdoor substation equipment, metering equipment and/or communication systems.
For the GS-13 level the specialized experience requirement is:
Your application and resume should demonstrate that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs). Do not provide a separate narrative written statement. Rather, you must describe in your application how your past work experience demonstrates that you possess the KSAs identified below. Cite specific examples of employment or experience contained in your resume and describe how this experience has prepared you to successfully perform the duties of this position. DO NOT write "see resume" in your application!
- Developing a wide range of Electrical Engineering theories, concepts, principles, standards, and methods for a wide range of power system equipment used in the electric utility industry.
- Experience with protective relaying theory, relaying equipment and system models to perform symmetrical component calculations and fault studies used to predict performance of protective relaying on the power system.
- Experience with high voltage and control equipment diagnostic testing and maintenance techniques; and schematics, wiring diagrams, instruction manuals and reports pertaining to power system equipment to perform trouble-shooting.
- Experience with the operation and maintenance practices associated with major electrical apparatus, protective relays, outdoor substation equipment, metering equipment and communication systems to provide engineering advice.
"Experience" refers to paid and unpaid experience. Examples of qualifying unpaid experience may include: volunteer work done through National Service programs (such as Peace Corps and AmeriCorps); as well as work for other community-based philanthropic and social organizations. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills; and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Time-in-Grade: Current Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement to receive consideration.
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
You must meetallqualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
If this vacancy specifically states that certain educational requirements must be met (also known as a "positive educational requirement"), you must provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Foreign education must be reviewed by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For special instructions pertaining to foreign education and a list of organizations that can evaluate foreign education, see the Department of Education website.
More than one selection may be made from this vacancy announcement.
Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
All males born after December 31, 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page,Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
If selected for this position, your appointment is contingent upon completion of OF-306, Declaration for Federal Employment, during the pre-employment process.
If selected, you will be required to complete a questionnaire and are subject to a criminal background check to determine suitability for Federal employment before appointment.
If selection is made at a lower grade, promotion up to the full performance level may be made without further competition. However, promotion(s) will depend on the performance of the incumbent and are not guaranteed.
If selected for this position, you must live no more than 60 minutes away from the duty station in case of call-out.
This position may require overnight travel of 10 or more days per month of overnight travel.
How You Will Be Evaluated
The Department of Energy uses an application tracking system to evaluate the responses you provide in the applicant assessment questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications necessary for this position. Then, the HR Office and/or Subject Matter Expert (SME) will conduct a quality review of your application and supporting documentation to determine if your qualifications meet the criteria for referral to the selecting official.
We will also verify that you are eligible for Merit Promotion positions by reviewing your previous Federal employment to ensure you meet Time-in-Grade requirements. If you are eligible to apply to Merit Promotion announcements based on Veteran or other non-competitive statuses, we will verify your supporting documentation prior to referral.
If you are eligible for career transition assistance plans such as ICTAP or CTAP, you must meet the definition of "well qualified" which is defined as having a score of 80 or better.
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
Selecting Official may check references on those applicants referred for consideration.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required DocumentsHelp Help
ALL APPLICANTS: You must submit a resume supporting your specialized experience and responses to the online questionnaire.
- Your resume should list all work experience (paid and unpaid); you should list the full name and address of the each employer.
- Yourexperience listing shouldshowthe start and end dates (include month, day, and year); you must also list the average number of hours per week that you worked.
- Your resume should also include any education and training you have completed (list the program title, subject area, number of hours completed, and completion date).
- For more information about what to include in your resume, pleaseview thisUSAJOBS Resume Tutorial videoon YouTube.
- Most DOE offices will allow you to submit a resume in the format of your choice (as an attached document or as a USAJOBS Resume Builder format). However, some offices may require the USAJOBS resume format. You will be notified at the time you click 'Apply Online' which is required.
- It is important that you are complete and thorough in your resume. If anyof the above information is not included in your resume, we may not be able to fully credit you for your experience.
Current and former Federal employees:Most recent SF-50 (Standard Form 50 - Notice of Personnel Action). To properly verify status eligibility, your SF-50 must show the following. If you do not submit an appropriate SF-50, we cannot verify your status eligibility!
- Full position title;
- appointment type;
- occupational series;
- pay plan, grade, and step;
- tenure code; and
- service computation date (SCD).
Veterans:veteran eligibility documentation(DD-214, VA Letter, Standard Form (SF) 15 as applicable). Please note: If you are a veteran who has not yet been discharged, you may provide a statement of intent to discharge from your agency which will allow you to applyunder the(Veterans Opportunity to Work) VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011.
Persons with Disabilities:Individuals with intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities may apply for appointment through the Schedule A hiring authority.Certified verification of a disabilityfrom a licensed medical professional; a licensed vocational rehabilitation specialist; or any Federal, state, or District of Columbia agency or U.S. territory that issues or provides disability benefits will be required.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- BenefitsHelp Help
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, you must submit your complete application no later than 11:59 pm U.S. Eastern Time on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish! Requests for extensions will not be granted, so please begin the application process allowing yourself enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference.
For your security, your session in our online application system will "time-out" if you are inactive for a certain period of time. We recommend that you preview the assessment questions before you apply and prepare all of your information prior to beginning the application. If you do get "timed-out" you will have to log back in to USAJOBS and re-visit the vacancy announcement, you can then click "Update Application" to finish where you left off.
Steps to submit a complete application:
- You must have an active USAJOBS account and be logged in.
- You must have a complete resume associated with your USAJOBS account. Please note that some DOE offices do not accept uploaded resumes and instead require that you submit a USAJOBS-formatted resume using theResume Builder.
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials are ready, click on the 'Apply Online' button to get started.
- You will be given the option to include your resume, documents, and demographic information from your USAJOBS profile. You will then be transferred to the Department of Energy's application tracking system. If you select documents from your USAJOBS account, you MUST complete the download process in a later step or your USAJOBS documentation WILL NOT be transferred! See Step 6.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- You will then be asked to upload additional supporting documentation. If you selected documents from USAJOBS prior to being transferred to our application system (Step 4), you will need to click the "USAJOBS" link to complete the transfer process. These documents ARE NOT automatically transferred!It is ultimately your responsibility to make sure all required documents are either faxed, uploaded, or transferred from USAJOBS successfully. If you are unsure that your documents went through, please contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement BEFORE the vacancy closes.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received!
If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
Steps to modify or withdraw your application:
- Return to USAJOBS and log in to your account.
- In the "My Account" screen, click "Application Status" in the left-hand column.
- You will see a table list of all the jobs you've applied to, click on the title of the application you want to modify.
- If the announcement is still open the button which normally says "Apply Online" will instead say "Edit Application", click that button. (If you want to withdraw your application from consideration after the closing date, contact the HR Specialist listed on the announcement.)
- You will be directed back to DOE's application tracking system where you can make changes, or you can click "Withdraw Application" to remove your application from being considered.
- If you experience any difficulties with the application process (anything after you have clicked the 'Apply Online' button), please contact the HR Office listed on this announcement between normal business hours. If you are receiving any kind of error message, please be ready to provide a screenshot or at a minimum, the error message text and number.
- If you are having trouble with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account password/profile issues, or Resume Builder help, please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center or e-mail [email protected] Regretfully, DOE cannot resolve issues with your USAJOBS account. We regret that we are unable to support any issue with USAJOBS, as this service is maintained by the Office of Personnel Management exclusively.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Office listed on this announcement during normal business hours to discuss your situation.
Please apply by clicking on the links below: