Clean Power Alliance (CPA) is a new Community Choice Aggregation/Joint Powers Authority formed to provide electricity services to retail customers in Southern California. With 31 member agencies, CPA will be the largest CCA in California and 5th largest electric utility in the State, serving over three million residents and businesses though more than one million customer accounts. CPA uses its market power to advance clean energy goals in a way that adheres to the local priorities of its member agencies.
To help ensure that Clean Power Alliance's priorities have a strong voice at the regional and state level, CPA is seeking a politically savvy, technically proficient and detail-oriented professional to join our growing team as Policy Director. This is a challenging opportunity to play a key role in restructuring Southern California’s energy market to rapidly reduce greenhouse gas emissions, provide local choice in energy supply and services and harness the strength of the political networks of our Board and member agencies.
The Director has responsibility for a wide range of statewide policy matters that will involve CPA in Sacramento and will be a key member of the CPA team that addresses regulatory issues at the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). This includes developing policy proposals that advance CPA’s interests and building coalitions of key stakeholders and individuals who share those interests. The Policy Director must be adept at playing both offense and defense, often on the same issue, and be comfortable translating highly technical information into key concepts understandable to local and state decision makers. Key duties include:
• Coalition Building: foster relationships with and work with Board members, CPA’s Community Advisory Committee, Southern California elected officials and other stakeholders who share CPA’s mission to build coalitions of support for CPA legislative or regulatory proposals and interests
• Strategy: monitor and assess the impact on CPA of potential legislative and regulatory proposals, develop strategic options for protecting CPA’s interests, and advance CPA’s agenda in the state legislature, and with statewide regulatory bodies, including the CPUC, California Energy Commission, California Air Resources Board
• Partnerships and Joint Action: serve as the CPA representative to the legislative committee of CalCCA, seeking mission alignment and incorporation of Southern California communities’ policy priorities into the broader CCA community
• Procurement and Compliance Support: work with CPA’s Power Planning and Procurement Division to ensure procurement decisions are made with a full understanding of potential shifts in statewide policy and regulations
• Board Relations: write effective staff reports and make clear presentations at Board and Committee meetings, along with jointly staffing, together with CPA’s Regulatory Affairs Manager, the Board’s standing Legislative and Regulatory Committee.
• Executive Support: assist the Executive Director in developing an organization-wide legislative strategy consistent with CPA’s market presence and unique geographic characteristics, including maintaining relationships with a large number of State Senate and Assembly Offices.
Candidates must have experience with the complexities of the energy sector in California and in building coalitions of non-technical stakeholders. Knowledge of the political and regulatory landscape impacting CCAs is a must.
To be successful you must:
• have a high tolerance for uncertainty but know how to bring things to resolution
• be able to identify and manage political and regulatory risk before it becomes mission critical
• have experience working with both State elected and governmental officials on energy and/or environmental issues
• leverage a large Board of Directors made up of local elected officials to build political support
• enjoy engaging with passionate stakeholders
• have a strong work ethic befitting a start-up environment
• work closely with the Executive Director and become a team player on a small staff
Candidates should send a resume, well-written cover letter and 3 references by email to: [email protected]