Austin Energy is more than just a power company. We are 1,700 of your friends and neighbors with a mission to safely deliver clean, affordable, reliable energy and excellent customer service — 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
As a community-owned utility, we’re a not-for-profit enterprise of the City of Austin that is focused on driving customer value in energy services. At Austin Energy, we are determined to use innovative technology to build a better Austin and to lead the way for clean, affordable energy.
Under the direction of the Deputy General Manager, Customer Care, performs generalized financial, administrative, and systems management functions; responsible for providing managerial support to Shared Services divisions.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Participates in short and long range planning activities for Billing, Collections, Remittance Processing, Revenue Measurement, 3-1-1, and Workforce Development; serves as an advisor in support of division initiatives.
- Develops, maintains, and monitors departmental budget; creates, compiles, and completes all budget documents for executive presentation.
- Manages purchasing procurement process; monitors contract services to ensure compliance with contractual obligations.
- Assists in the formulation of departmental polices and operating procedures.
- Evaluates program effectiveness and efficiency to meet departmental business goals.
- Recommends solutions to critical business issues and presents alternatives.
- Prepares and presents reports, oversees the design of visual presentation materials, including charts and graphs to accompany reports.
- Coordinates all human resource activities for department to include employment and employee relations.
- Coordinates cross-functional projects and personnel to assess departmental requirements.
- Acts as the department liaison in the operations of Shared Services divisions and other city departments.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of business strategies, objectives, departmental goals, and initiatives.
- Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Skill in determining needs and gathering, analyzing and presenting data to provide accurate information for management's use.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in quantitative, qualitative, and financial data analysis, including statistics, and problem solving.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public.
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business Administration, Public Administration, or in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years of administrative/management experience.
- Experience may substitute for education up four (4) years.
- Experience working in a utility, municipality, or similarly regulated organization
- Six (6) years of experience administering multiple large-scale business initiatives, projects, and programs with varying deadlines and deliverables
- Experience acting in a consultative role to senior-level leadership
- Experience working across the organization to conduct analytics and build frameworks for key initiatives
- Skill in working through ambiguity, moving high-level operational concepts to actualization, implementation and execution
- Demonstrated experience with process improvement methodologies
- Experience in fiscal planning including analyzing and overseeing operational budgets
- Strong business writing skills and experience developing correspondence in a variety of formats
- Advanced presentation skills and the ability to develop complex, high-quality presentations
- Intermediate proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint 2013