This position provides safety services and expertise for projects on Transmission and Distribution Systems within the Electric Utility Industry. Experience working in and around electric utility substations is an important aspect of this position and should be emphasized in replying to this job posting. This position implements and coordinates programs to reduce or eliminate occupational injuries, illnesses, and financial losses. The ability to influence others about the importance of safety by using your passion, knowledge and skills will be key to being successful in this position.
• Champion safety in the field by observing, coaching and taking action to avert safety related incidents
• Conduct field observations to assure compliance of OSHA regulations and Utility Company Safety rules
• Conduct close call/good catch and ongoing accident investigations
• Identify and address safety concerns and quality issues associated with the different parts of the project
• Conduct site and field visits in accordance with each scope
• Participate in design constructability reviews
• Ensure that contractors are in compliance with Utility Company mandated safety training (Safety manual work procedures, Combination grounding-Transmission Lines, Substation De-Energized Work Plan, MAL (Maintenance Alteration Log)
• Conduct Pre Construction/Safety Kickoff meetings to outline what is expected of contractors
• Conduct safety stand downs as applicable regularly and immediately after safety concerns or issues are observed
• Audit JSA/JHA’s, daily and as tasks change on the job
• Set safe work expectations according to OSHA and Utility Company regulations in accordance with governance processes
• Safety - Tailboard conference attendance/review, JSA development/review, observations/hazard analysis reviews
• Monitor skills and abilities of contractors for task, mental and physical state, public exposure, accident/incident reporting
• Identifies and addresses all project safety and environmental hazards and concerns
- High School Diploma or the equivalent
- Must be able demonstrate a minimum of 10 years of previous experience as a Safety Specialist or similar role
- Must be knowledgeable and be able to interpret and cite OSHA regulations and provide guidance to construction crews and upper management on the proper application of these regulations in the workplace
- The following safety certifications are preferred:
• COSS, CUSP-Certified Utility Safety
• OSHA 500
Work is primarily conducted at Project Construction Sites within Utility Company service area (may require occasional travel to other services areas). This might include electric Substations, Transmission and Distribution lines.
Interaction with other team members, as well as supervisors and client personnel
Must be able to wear safety equipment as required by the safety department for personal protection
May be at more than one job site in a day and must be able to tolerate climate changes
Must be able to lift and carry 20 pounds
Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits employee to communicate effectively
Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time with or without reasonable accommodation
Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodations, which permits employee to conduct analysis and investigations.
Sufficient manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation, which permit the employee to perform routine office duties.
Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodations to perform office duties and travel when necessary to off-site locations.
This job description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.
Drug Free Workplace:
EDG Inc. and its subsidiaries are committed to a drug free workplace.
Applicants are subject to both pre-employment hair and urine drug screens.
Post-hire, employees are subject to random, periodic, post-accident, and reasonable suspicion drug testing which may include both hair and urine drug screens. In addition to the requirements of EDG’s drug free workplace program, employees may be required to sign, acknowledge and comply with drug free workplace policies or programs required by clients.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
All interested applicants must apply directly to http://careers.edg.net/jobdetail.aspx?jobid=1233
Those who apply through any other means will not be considered.