Clean Power Alliance (CPA) is a Community Choice Aggregation/Joint Powers Authority providing electricity services to retail customers in Southern California. With 32 member agencies, CPA is the largest CCA in California and 5th largest electricity provider in the State, serving over three million residents and businesses though more than one million customer accounts. CPA uses its market power to advance clean energy goals in a way that adheres to the local priorities of its member agencies.
To implement CPA’s first set of customer-oriented solutions, CPA is seeking a motivated and detailoriented team member to manage a suite of Distributed Energy Resource pilot programs, under the supervision of the Chief Operating Officer and working closely with the Director of Power Planning and Procurement. This is a challenging, and we expect highly coveted, opportunity to play a key role in restructuring Southern California’s energy market to rapidly reduce greenhouse gas emissions and a more distributed energy future.
To be successful you must:
• Have high attention to detail with strong organizational skills
• Have excellent project management skills previously demonstrated in a program implementation environment
• Work accurately and swiftly under pressure
• Communicate effectively, orally and in writing and have the ability to translate complex technical information into non-technical language
• Have familiarity with the CCA business model and under how DER programs fit into that model
• Have a high tolerance for uncertainty but know how to bring things to resolution
• Have a strong work ethic befitting a start-up environment
The DER Programs Manager will be responsible for implementing DER pilot programs that assist CPA and its customers to manage their load and use load shift for bidding into the CAISO wholesale market and/or use as Resource Adequacy.
Key duties include:
• Program Design: Support design and launch of CPA’s DER pilot programs, including development of operational processes and implementing best practices related to DER aggregation
• Project Management: Implement projects from planning stage through close-out, including managing multiple consultants and contracts, developing and adhering to budgets, and integrating projects into CPA’s larger resource planning framework.
• Marketing and Customer Acquisition: Lead activities to recruit customers to participate in DER programs, coordinate with CPA’s marketing and community outreach team to publicize program opportunities, and developing marketing materials for individual customers and industry groups.
• Measurement, Analytics, and Verification: Develop indicators to measure program effectiveness, analyze program outcomes to modify implementation activities, and develop and implement verification protocols to support cost and environmental effectiveness claims.
• Funding Acquisition: Secure outside funding from local/regional/state funding sources to support and expand CPA’s DER program portfolio, as needed.
• Regulatory/Market Expertise: Serve as subject matter expert for CPA on DER related issues, including following key compliance and regulatory proceedings at CPUC, CAISO, FERC, and other relevant arenas.
• Written Reports and Oral Presentations: Write reports and make oral presentations to CPA’s Board of Directors, Board Committees, executive management, customers and industry groups.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Demonstrated experience in utility program/project management
• Demonstrated experience with financial and/or quantitative analysis
• Demonstrated experience with marketing to end-use customers and high-level decision makers
• Knowledge and understanding of the operation of California’s electricity system, from behind the meter (BTM) applications up through CAISO wholesale markets, including DER aggregation
• Knowledge and understanding of the CCA business model and the ability to articulate how DER programs support that model
• Highly proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel and PowerPoint
Candidates should send a succinct and well-written cover letter and resume with 3 references to [email protected]